Last updated on June 28th, 2019 at 09:35 pm
Cancer fundraising events are all about raising as much money and awareness of the disease as possible. Moreover, nonprofits’ ongoing dedication to this cause has led to some pretty successful events.
Their efforts to make a difference are bound to inspire your work in 2019.
So in this article, we have compiled a list of some of the best events held last year so you can start off this year at full strength. Let’s get started.
1. The World’s Biggest Coffee Morning
In September 2017, Macmillan hosted their most significant event of the year for people facing cancer, which turned out to be a massive success, as it helped them raise no less than $39.8 million.
- The idea: Macmillan put together an extensive campaign where they asked people all over the UK to host their own Coffee Mornings. Donations gathered on the day went to the organization. After signing in, partners were provided with an online kit containing downloadable games and posters they could use on the day of the event. Macmillan’s 2017 event was national, but back when it all started in 1990, it was a rather small affair with event guests talking over a cup of coffee and paying for it via a donation.
- What You Can Take from It: Team up. Start locally and get as many people in your community involved as possible. Whether it is a cookie sale or a coffee morning, try to encourage them that hosting their events in the name of charity is not only righteous, but also an efficient way to help.
2. Pink Scavenger Hunt
Leveraging people’s natural taste for adventure and nostalgia towards childhood games, the Annual “Find a Cure for Cancer Scavenger Hunt“ event is one of those cancer fundraising events you can draw inspiration from.
- The Idea: Event attendees are divided into teams and asked to find items included on a list which was previously handed to them on the day of the event. Winners are decided based on how many items on that list they managed to find, as well as the time needed to complete the task. No clues are provided as guests navigate through the game. Donations are raised via registration fees to enter the event.
- What You Can Take from It: Work fun gameplay and themed prizes into your event. Create your version of a scavenger hunt and encourage guests to have fun looking for hidden treasures, while fighting for a cause. This can be done at a venue or even in a public space like a town square or park.
3. Cancer Awareness Open House
There are several organizations like The Norma Pfriem Breast Cancer Foundation which have successfully employed this idea to help raise awareness.
Also, because most of these events are held inside hospitals or other medical facilities, they are also a great way to promote screening and prevention efforts.
- The Idea. Norma Pfriem Breast Cancer Foundation teamed with a medical office providing mammography services and offered refreshments, and educational information, and complementary health services. Their Open House event also featured guest speakers who provided expert information on cancer and the importance of early diagnoses.
- What You Can Take from It: Think of something unexpected when drafting cancer fundraising events. Whether it is an unexpected location or a surprising choice of entertainment, thinking-outside-the-box can help draw more interest towards your event.
Time to Start Planning Your Own Cancer Fundraising Events
Whether you are a small or large nonprofit organization, we hope you will be able to adjust some of these ideas to fit your needs and plan events which gain steam and thus help more people.
In the meantime, make sure to stay up-to-date with the articles posted on our blog for more information which can help you out on your journey towards raising more funds for cancer in 2019.
Latest posts by Tim Grable (see all)
- 5 Of The Most Amazing Performances From Britain’s Got Talent The Champions - December 4, 2019
- 3 Ways Booking an Inspirational Speaker Will Make Your Event Better - December 3, 2019
- 4 Reasons Why People Love Dry Bar Comedy - December 2, 2019