Organizing a charity event remains one of the most powerful tools nonprofit organizations have at their disposal to gain support for their cause. Many different aspects go into planning an event that will engage donors, increase awareness, and help you boost donations.
How you market your fundraising event plays a critical role in its success. It will help you spread the word about the event, increase attendance, and reach fundraising goals.
So, it’s important you make promotion one of the main priorities. Luckily, there are a lot of different strategies and channels you can use to effectively market your fundraising event – even if you don’t have much experience in this field.
To make the job a little bit easier, here are 5 useful tips that will help you set a fundraising event up for success by helping market your fundraiser better.
1. Create a Dedicated Landing Page for the Fundraising Event
A landing page is a special page on the organization’s website you’ve created specifically for a marketing or advertising campaign.
There are a few essential things to keep in mind when creating this page for it to be effective and to support stated goals.
For example, let’s say the goal is to sell as many tickets to the event as possible.
First off, you need strong headlines that showcase the benefits guests will enjoy by attending – and how much of a difference they can make by being there and supporting your cause.
Include any types of incentives that help the fundraiser stand out from the rest (like maybe you have a special guest, or perhaps you’ve booked amazing entertainment for the occasion).
All these extras make each event more appealing and thus help increase the number of attendees.
Also, pay extra attention to call-to-action buttons. These are the buttons visitors click on to take the action you want them to receive; in this case, registering for the event.
Use contrasting colors to make sure they are easy to spot within the page and try using text which evokes emotion and creates a sense of urgency (words like now, today, only, hurry, rush, limited-time are great for this purpose).
You can learn more about creating effective landing pages here.
2. Leverage Social Media
Social media is a powerful tool you have at your disposal to increase awareness as you market your fundraising event. Here are a few best practices you can use to make the most out of it:
- Update cover images to highlight the upcoming fundraiser. This is a great yet simple way to let your social media following know you have a new event coming up.
- Create a special #hashtag, like # [name of the event] + [the year] and encourage people to use it to help increase online exposure to the event. This will also help you discover and connect with people who are talking about the fundraiser using the event’s hashtag.
- Stay active. Don’t just make a bunch of posts announcing the fundraiser and then go MIA. Instead, post periodically across all social media accounts, linking to your landing page. Sharing the latest updates about your fundraiser will help keep people engaged.
3. Employ a Multi-Channel Strategy to Spread the Word
Social media is a powerful tool you can use to gain exposure for your fundraising event and engage multiple groups of followers.
Consider posting different types of messaging across various channels. This way, you avoid message saturation on one channel while being MIA on another.
- Facebook: An excellent channel for sharing behind the scenes photos and marketing materials, including photos with inspirational quotes and testimonials from the people your organization has helped. Plus, videos that convey the excitement and impact of your event are, generally, engagement-boosters.
- Twitter: Best for sharing timely updates around your fundraiser’s goals, statistics, and retweets from some of your most avid online supporters.
- Instagram: You can post stories that promote your current event and share throwback photos from past fundraisers. If an Instagram influencer supports your cause and shares it with their audience, it’s a good idea to re-post their stories or posts on your account, as well.
Don’t forget about the organization’s website.
It’s an excellent place for sharing updates, as well as articles that offer in-depth information about specific topics (the cause you’re fighting for, the impact people can make by donating, why is your cause urgent or important).
4. Offer Early-Bird Ticket Discounts
If you are planning to sell tickets as a way to raise money for your cause, then consider tiering ticket prices. Using this ticket pricing strategy is an excellent way to encourage people to buy tickets and commit to your event early-on.
Plus, these early-birds are likely to turn into your biggest advocates and share details about the event to their friends, family, co-workers, and their social media following.
5. Invest in Entertainment for Your Fundraising Event
Featuring a high-quality entertainment act will help you market your fundraiser, as it will elevate the perceived value of the ticket.
Plus, it makes your event more appealing, thus helping you draw in a larger, more diverse crowd and attract new donors.
However, finding the right type of entertainment is not always easy, especially if you don’t have much experience in this field.
Now You Know How To Successfully Market Your Fundraising Event
We hope you’ve enjoyed learning more about a few tactics which will help you promote each fundraising event and you’ll consider giving them a try.
Also, if you’re looking for the best entertainment, we can help with that, too. Luckily, securing amazing entertainment is something we can help you with! There are over 1,500 fantastic entertainers, speakers, and comedians featured in our portfolio, so start browsing now!