- How to Create Virtual Memories with a Friends/Family Comedy Night - July 5, 2020
- 6 Things You Need To Be Aware of if You’re Organizing a Webinar - June 30, 2020
- 8 Reasons Why Online Meetings Are So Successful Post Covid 19 - June 25, 2020
Last updated on July 4th, 2020 at 08:15 am
What is sit down comedy?
The simple answer is that it’s the same style of comedy as stand-up comedy, only that it’s performed -- you’ve guessed it -- sitting down.
This type of comedy works well in a Q&A/interview format, in which a virtual moderator steers the conversation in different directions, setting up the comedian to be funny without audience feedback.
If you’ve ever watched any late-night shows, then chances are you’ve already seen a version of this online comedy style in action.
Several comedians have perfected the art of sit down entertainment and whose names you’ll quickly recognize from your favorite movies and shows.
Five of the Best Comedians for Sit Down Comedy
1. Will Ferrell
You undoubtedly know Will Ferrel from big-screen comedies such as Step Brothers, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Elf, Daddy’s Home, and many other famous productions.
Ferrell’s trademark straight face, his most effortless and reliable comic creation, is one of perfect innocent blankness. But Will Ferrell is more than a funny actor -- he’s also a skilled comedian.
Launching his career as a member of a Los Angeles-based improv group, Will Ferrell was also an acclaimed cast member of Saturday Night Live, the show where he shaped his style as a comedian.
Ferrell is also the perfect late-night show guest: he’s witty and seems to have a hilarious comeback to pretty much everything.
Jim Gaffigan is one of the best comedians working today. His edgy yet highly-approachable style has earned him an unparalleled number of appearances on well-known shows, such as:
- CBS’ Late Show with David Lettermen, and
- NBC’s Late Night with Conan O’Brien.
Jim is responsible for some of the funniest and most memorable moments in recent television (including primetime, cable, and the late-night circuit).
However, with the spread of the coronavirus bringing in-person gatherings to a sudden halt, Jim started taking his comedy shows online.
On his YouTube channel, viewers can get a good laugh in watching clips from his “Quarantine Playlist” series or the “Let’s Get Cooking- The World’s Favorite Quarantine Cooking show.”
3. Seth Meyers
To work, sit down comedy often requires the best comedians and a skilled moderator who knows exactly what questions to ask and how to phrase everything to maximize the comedic effect.
Seth Meyers is a pro at this.
In a crowded landscape of comedy shows, Meyers has managed to forge a distinctive identity as a late-night talk show host and comedian.
His sharp humor and undeniable charisma bring energy, wit, and surprises to every show he hosts.
4. Sebastian Maniscalco
Sebastian Maniscalco’s signature observational humor and iconic facial expressions have earned him multiple appearances on a plethora of shows such as:
- The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson,
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,
- The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, and
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Sebastian Maniscalco is also one of Jerry Seinfeld’s favorite comedians, as Seinfeld himself stated in one of his Netflix episodes from the “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” series.
5. Nate Bargatze
You may recognize Nate from his Netflix Special called The Tennessee Kid or from his multiple appearances on Late Night with Conan O’Brien and on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
Big names in the comedy industry have openly praised Nate. Marc Maron called him a “comic who should be big” while Jim Gaffigan mentioned him as one of the top up-and-coming comics.
6. James Corden
- Host of CBS’ The Late Late Show with James Corden, which has been nominated for 5 Emmy’s and won for Outstanding Interactive Program
- Former host of the BAFTA Award-winning UK sports-themed comedy game show A League of Their Own
- Starred in, produced, and wrote the BAFTA-nominated comedy thriller The Wrong Mans
- Named one of TIME magazine’s “100 Most Influential People”Awarded the Writers’ Guild of Great Britain Award for Comedy Writer of the Year, the South Bank Show Award for Comedy and the Royal Television Society Award for Comedy Writer of the Year for his work on The Wrong Mans
7. Trevor Noah
- Trevor Noah is the host of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning Daily Show on Comedy Central
- He is the New York Times bestselling author of Born a Crime
- Noah has released two comedy specials on Netflix to critical acclaim, Afraid of the Dark and Trevor Noah: Son of Patricia
- He previously hosted two seasons of his own late night talk show, Tonight with Trevor Noah, in South Africa
- Noah made his U.S. television debut in 2012 on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- He has been featured in GQ South Africa, Rolling Stone, Newsweek and The Wall Street Journal
8. Darci Lynne
Singer / Ventriloquist Darci Lynne is the youngest contestant to ever win NBC’s “America’s Got Talent” garnering over 67M views on AGT’s YouTube and the most votes for a final performance in the history of the show. She won the hearts of America with her sweetheart disposition and undeniable talent. In 2018, she kicked off her national tour selling out her first headlining family friendly show in just six minutes, continually adding shows to meet the overwhelming demand.
9. Colin Jost
- Head writer and Weekend Update co-anchor on Saturday Night Live
- Earned three Writers Guild awards, a Peabody Award, and been nominated for 9 Emmy awards
- Published in the The New Yorker magazine, The New York Times Magazine, Huffington Post, Staten Island Advance and Radar
- Performed stand-up on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, John Oliver’s New York Stand Up Show and the Just for Laughs Comedy Festivals in Montreal and Chicago
- Jost released his book, “A Very Punchable Face: A Memoir” in 2020
10. Dave Coulier
Dave is perhaps best known as “Joey” from the hit ABC television series, Full House, which aired for eight seasons (1987-1995, with 192 episodes produced) and can now be seen on Nick At Nite. Additionally, the show runs worldwide, syndicated in over 100 countries. Dave followed this success by hosting his second prime-time hit series, America’s Funniest People, which ran on ABC for four seasons. He has performed his clean stand-up on The Tonight Show, HBO’s Detroit Comedy Jam and HBO’s Comic Relief at Radio City Music Hall.
11. Preacher Lawson
In 2015 Preacher won the title of Funniest Comedian In Florida, in 2016 he was crowned the winner of the Seattle International Comedy Competition. He’s continued the wave of momentum on into 2017 and he’s on quite a roll this year so far – having made his television debut on NBC’s “Last Call with Carson Daly” followed by an appearance on Comedy Dynamic’s “Coming To The Stage” soon after. In 2017, Lawson made a big splash on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent” where he made it to the final ten contestants. Preacher can currently be seen on America’s Got Talent: The Champions where he was a top 5 finalist on NBC highest-rated season to date.
12. Jay Leno
Acclaimed TV late night show host, admired stand-up comedian, best-selling children’s book author, much-in-demand corporate speaker, lovable TV and movie voice-over artist, pioneering car builder and mechanic, and philanthropist…it’s no wonder that Jay Leno is widely characterized as “the hardest working man in show business.”
13. Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen’s rapid-fire humor, which centers on marriage and family, is a hit with all ages. A live comedy favorite, Jeff has appeared on Showtime, Comedy Central, VH1 and more. He starred in the critically acclaimed film, Apostles of Comedy, the syndicated comedy series, Bananas, his own one-hour comedy special, Happy Wife, Happy Life, and the Warner Bros. comedy film, Thou Shalt Laugh. Jeff has been featured at Montreal’s Just For Laughs festival and HBO’s Comedy Arts Festival. His Dry Bar Comedy videos have amassed over 200 million views on social media and other platforms, introducing him to tens of millions of new fans worldwide.
14. Larry Weaver
Larry Weaver’s virtual comedy performances include topics such as working from home, staying healthy during lockdown, getting along with those you’re stuck with, home remedies, trying to eat right, and more. Larry’s lightning-fast wit is always on display as he virtually interacts with the audience. A favorite at virtual conferences, corporate events, and churches, Larry’s humor is highly professional, culturally sensitive, and hilariously funny.
Virtual comedian Larry Weaver provides LIVE clean humor virtually around the World! Add some laughs to your next videoconference call. Provide a funny keynote for your virtual conference. Boost employee morale with a virtual happy hour. Live Streaming via Zoom, Cisco WebEx, Microsoft Teams, GoToMeeting, RingCentral, and other popular videoconferencing software.
15. Jeff Civillico
Jeff Civillico blends physical comedy, action-packed stunts and world-class juggling with family-friendly audience interaction and insane amounts of energy in this hilarious clean comedy show that is great for all ages. With a razor-sharp wit and a contagious smile, Jeff juggles everything from bowling balls to chainsaws to fire, balances a twelve-foot ladder on his chin and maneuvers a giant unicycle.
“Jeff Civillico: Comedy in Action” is highly acclaimed, with an impressive list of accolades: “Best of Las Vegas” 3 times in a row by the Las Vegas Review Journal, “Entertainer of the Year” by Vegas Inc, “Top 10 Things To Do In Vegas” by Total Vegas Guide, “Show of Excellence” by TripAdvisor, 5-star ratings on Ticketmaster, Yelp, Google, etc.
Sit Down Comedy Can Make Your Virtual Event More Engaging
High-quality entertainment is one of the secrets to planning a successful online event. And now you can give your remote guests a chance to take part in a live comedy show -- from the comfort of their own homes.
For the best comedians that you can book for a virtual event, start browsing through our portfolio now.
If you need any further assistance, we’re happy to help. All you have to do is reach out to us at (615) 283-0039.